Release provided by: Andrea Dowdy.
You’ve never run a race like the all new Kaiser Permanente Colfax Marathon half marathon! Runners, get ready for the ultimate urban jungle — a one mile run through Denver Zoo! The 13.1 mile race is on Sunday, May 19, 2013 and is fast, flat and shady – and the only race in Denver through the Zoo. The new course features:
- The Denver Zoo Mile takes runners past Predator Ridge, Monkey Island, the new Toyota Elephant Passage and more
- The first two miles and corral start streamlines the running pack
- Runners exit the zoo at ~mile 3 to head east on tree-lined Montview Boulevard
- Aurora’s City Park and run through Aurora Fire Station #1
- Tour old town Aurora on Colfax Avenue
- Enjoy the stately homes under the canopy of trees on 17th Avenue
- Finish in City Park
“We’re thrilled support the race and bring runners through Denver Zoo,” says Denver Zoo spokeswoman Tiffany Barnhart. “Runners will get to pass through our new 10-acre exhibit for Asian elephants, greater one-horned rhinos and Malayan Tapirs. Toyota Elephant Passage is the only elephant home of its kind.”
“The Colfax Marathon is an event that the city goes ape for every year,” says Denver Mayor Michael B. Hancock. “With the half marathon race snaking through the Denver Zoo, runners and spectators alike will get to enjoy a lion’s share of racing fun in one of Denver’s greatest cultural gems.”
“This race is a celebration of the Mile High City,” Race Director Creigh Kelley explains. “We originated on Colfax and have expanded to include so many great city landmarks and neighborhoods, like Denver Zoo, old town Aurora, and the historic homes along Montview and 17th Avenue.”
Over 11,000 participate in Colorado’s biggest springtime race, and nearly half run the half marathon. The 8th annual event awards a $1,000 prize to runners who set a new event record in the men’s and women’s half marathon – and an additional $1,000 for setting a new state record. The Colfax Marathon half marathon records currently are: Patrick Rizzo, 2012, Men’s Half 1:08:09; Brianna Nelson, 2012, Women’s Half 1:17:04.
- Runners will pass one of the fastest animals on earth: the cheetah. Cheetahs can accelerate to 45 miles per hour in two seconds and can attain a top speed of 70 miles per hour over short distances!
- Humans’ top speed, for comparison, is 27 miles per hour.
- Elephants can run 25 miles per hour.
- Patrick Rizzo set the 2012 Men’s Half event record, running 13.1 miles in 1:08:09 at a velocity of 11.53 miles per hour. That’s a 5 minute mile – 5:13:12, to be exact!
WHAT: 2013 Kaiser Permanente Colfax Marathon, Half Marathon, Marathon Relay and Urban 10 Miler
WHEN: Sunday, May 19, 2013
WHERE: City Park, Denver Colorado
EVENTS: 26.2 mile marathon, 13.1 mile half marathon, the Urban 10 Miler, the 5-person marathon relay – including the Corporate Cup and Government Cup division – and the Colfax 5K that kicks off race weekend.
AWARDS: $1,000 for setting a new event record in the men’s and women’s marathon and half marathon.
REGISTER: Online registration is now open at www.runcolfax.org. The sooner you register, the lower the price!
WHERE TO STAY: Enjoy Denver for a long weekend! Stay at one of our official race hotels. Visitwww.runcolfax.org for details.
FOLLOW: On Twitter @runcolfax – hashtag #runcolfax
RACE PHOTOS: High-res photos are available by emailing [email protected]. View spectacular photos of the race here.